Skip to main content

Confusing words

 


SAY vs TELL




SAY

●     Focus on the thing.

●     Structure: say + something

●     Example: She said “hello”.

TELL

●     Focus on the person who receives the information.

●     Structure: tell + someone + something

●     Example: She told me the truth.

👉 Key idea: tell almost always needs a person.




LISTEN vs HEAR

LISTEN

●     You do it actively.

●     Example: Listen to this song. I listen to music

HEAR

●     It’s a physical perception.

●     Example: I can hear a noise.

👉 listen = active

👉 hear = automatic perception

 

Complete with listen or hear




TRAVEL vs TRIP

TRAVEL

●     The action of moving (transfer) from place to place.

●     Example: the travel was good (the transfer by train, airplane etc.. was ok)

●     Can also be a verb: to travel

●     Example: I love to travel.

TRIP

●     A specific journey. (more referred to the time spent)

●     Example: We had a great trip to Paris.

👉 travel = in general, as a verb, with reference to the transfer

👉 trip = one specific journey





JOB vs WORK


JOB

●     Your occupation.

●     Example: She has a new job.

WORK

●     The activity. The task you do.

●     As a verb.

●     Example: I work from home.

👉 job = the position, the role, the function you have

👉 work = the activity



Complete with job or work

 

Job

Work

She has a part‑time _______(job - occupation)

I _______ in a hospital. (work - here is a verb)

His _______ is very stressful. (job - occupation - profession)

I have too much _______ to do today. (work - activities - tasks)

This is my ___ (job in the sense of this is my role, function)

 

 


EACH vs EVERY

EACH

●     Focus on individuals, one by one.

●     Example: Each student has a book.

EVERY

●     Focus on the group as a whole, all.

●     Example: Every student of my class has a book.

👉 each = individual focus

👉 every = group focus



Choose each or every

 

Each

Every

_______ student has a laptop. (each single student - referred to one student separately

I go to the gym _______ day. (every obligatory with expressions of time)

She gave _______ child a sticker. (each - one by one to individual children)

_______ room in the house is clean. (every consider room and house together I intend one room of all rooms of the house)

 


LEND vs BORROW


LEND

●     To give something temporarily.

●     Direction: me → you

●     Example: Can you lend me your pen?

BORROW

●     To take something temporarily.

●     Direction: you → me

●     Example: Can I borrow your pen?

👉 lend = give

👉 borrow = take

 

 

 

 

 

 

Complete with lend or borrow

 

Take, aka borrow

Give, aka lend

Can I _______ your dictionary?

I never _______ money to strangers.

Did you _______ that book from the library?

Could you _______ me your phone for a minute?

 


WAIT vs EXPECT


WAIT

●     To stay somewhere until something happens.

●     Example: I’m waiting for the bus.

EXPECT

●     Mental prediction.

●     Example: I expect good results.

👉 wait = physical waiting

👉 expect = mental anticipation


Choose wait or expect


Mental - expect

Physical - wait

I _______ good results from this project.

I _______ the bus every morning.

We didn’t _______ the test to be so difficult.

Please _______ here for a moment.

 


In a nutshell





Popular posts from this blog

ARTICLES

  "The" and "A/An" There are two types of articles: 1. Definite Article: "The" Use "the" when referring to a specific noun that both the speaker and listener know. It can be used with singular and plural nouns. Example: The sun is bright today. (There is only one sun, so it is specific.) I saw the cat in the garden. (The listener knows which cat is being referred to.) 2. Indefinite Articles: "A" and "An" Use "a" or "an" when referring to a general noun, not a specific one. They are used only with singular nouns. "A" is used before words that start with a consonant sound . Example: a dog, a book, etc.. "An" is used before words that start with a vowel sound. Example: an apple, an elephant, etc.. Peculiarities to bear in mind Let's talk about THE When to Use "The" and When Not to Use It ✅ When to Use "The" Use "the" when referring to specific thing...